Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Use of Force Training

This post has 4 Replies | 9 Followers

Posted: Thu, Oct 9 2014 11:19 AM

Currently our Self Defense in-service training requires correctional officers to actively participate in self defense training and demonstrate strikes, control techniques and takedowns. However, a number of staff have been getting injured lately and this has had an impact on their ability work. This has forced our facility to look at our defensive tactics training while at the same time meeting ACA requirements for self defense training. ACA standard 7B-16 states the following, "All security staff personnel are trained in self-defense and the use of force to control inmates." My question is this; "If staff are unable to participate in self defense, and are currently not on light duty status, how are they being assigned on shift?"

Top 150 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 362
FEHA permits an employer to require a medical exam of an employee if it can show that the exam is ‘job related and consistent with business necessity.’ When a disability is not obvious, the employee must submit ‘reasonable medical documentation confirming its existence.’ Because the issue of potentially using force, it is job related, there is a business necessity. So, I would think the employee needs to have the ability to carry out the essential functions of the job in corrections/jail. If not, the employee could pose a danger to other employees based on lack of actions. The employee could be sent home and use sick time for until they can do the job. As in all matters involving W/C –modified duty, I would also seek out advice from your agency’s HR or designated attorney. Give me a call if you'd like to know how we handle these "type" cases. Joe McNamara (951) 696-3190
Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 74

I would suggest looking at your current techniques and find "modified" ways to do them. If someone can't lift their right arm, they can still block with the left while moving out of the way of the attack. They are being assigned to shift (In my thoughts) becuase folks feel that "attacks" never happen, but if they can not defend themselves or their co -workers, they will cause more harm than good when things get crazy.

My thoughts are what ever your injury or limitaion is, you should be aware of it, but you are never completely unless. Self defense is about safety.

Not Ranked
Points 5
draga replied on Thu, Jun 11 2015 5:21 PM
thank you so much
Not Ranked
Points 5

Cory,

As a professional Use of Force Trainer I would like to comment on tow things in response. First all D.T. (self-defense) training while being as realistic as possible it has to be safe with the very minimul chance of injury. Usually if injuries are occuring at a more frequent rate it is due to usually several factros. One is that the participants are not warming up and cooling down properly; two, it can be from the participants "jumping ahead" in the skill set and executing techniques at a advanced skill level and they are not ready for that, another factor could be that the officers are executing skills that are outside thieir fitness ability, and last the trainers are not paying enough attention to the safety protocol's for the particular training. Having siad that of course there maybe other factors depending upon environment, disparity of size macth ups etc., however those four are the most common factors I have seen in the last 25+ years of leading trainings and observing trianings.

In regards to "being on the job" while injured from an officer safety stance I would say that if injured officer's are being assigned a regular duty then it should be in light of the injury; meaning that management should be signing off on the level of job performance that officer is still able to perform and be able to protect oneself while on that assigned duty. this means the level of security of inmate should be considered in the duty assigned, and the possible risks to the officer. from what I know if an officer has a debiltating injury that compromises their safety in an assigned duty this not best practices and if the officer was injured as result there could very likley be grounds for the officer to file suit.

I hope this helps you.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS