Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery in Prison Disturbances

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 27
Julie posted on Thu, Jun 18 2015 9:51 AM

Hello,

I am one day away from finishing my final report for Emergency and Crisis Response, and have chosen the topic of prison riots.  I have been desperately seeking a prison response plan for a mass disturbance such as a riot.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The one reference that keeps coming up is "A Guide to Preparing for and Responding to Prison Emergencies" which is helpful, but not a specific plan. I am looking for a facilities specific plan, such as; which stakeholders will respond in the event of a riot, and what roles they will take.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Points 42
Verified by Julie
Since the NIC is a wing of the BOP, ask for a redacted plan from a facility. Every Federal facility is required to have a binder of specific, (paint by numbers) emergency plans for each contingency. That is the most common scenario. They are obviously sensitive, but it can't hurt to reach out to the BOP because they have a retired one. Also, each Federal facility has an "EPO" Emergency Preparedness officer, so it couldn't hurt to reach out to one at a complex and pick their brain. Maybe the conversation will result in a score!

All Replies

Not Ranked
Points 42
Verified by Julie
Since the NIC is a wing of the BOP, ask for a redacted plan from a facility. Every Federal facility is required to have a binder of specific, (paint by numbers) emergency plans for each contingency. That is the most common scenario. They are obviously sensitive, but it can't hurt to reach out to the BOP because they have a retired one. Also, each Federal facility has an "EPO" Emergency Preparedness officer, so it couldn't hurt to reach out to one at a complex and pick their brain. Maybe the conversation will result in a score!
Not Ranked
Points 27
Julie replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 7:56 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the delay in posting, as my final was due last Friday. Although you did give me some great information that will be helpful in the future.

Thanks again,

Julie

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS