Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Correctional Ministry Outreach

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 117
kenneth.varney Posted: Fri, Oct 10 2008 8:22 PM
Hello, I am an ex correction officer from Georgia and MIchigan. My pastor has put me in charge of forming our correctional outreach ministry. We are in the infant stages of forming the ministry and I am looking for training material to train our future volunteers on inmate manipulation and similiar topics. I would also like information on employment assistance or other prisoner assistance. Information on a prisoners family and children would be benificial also. I would greatly apreciate if anybody can help me with material, (videos and/or paper). Anything will help right now. You can email me at emmanuelproject@gmail.com or you can mail the material to Ken Varney, The emmanuel Project, PO Box 24, LeRoy, MI 49655. If any one from North West Michigan that is interested you can visit our temporary website at http://www.freewebs.com/the-emmanuel-project. I would apreciate any feedback about experiences they may of had from ministry volunteers/programs they have had at their facility. thanks Ken
http://www.freewebs.com/the-emmanuel-project

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 142
Check with someone from Florida. They have a very good training program for prison ministry people and the background check is done then too. I class was held in Tallassee years ago at a Bible College.
Not Ranked
Points 5
tampalady replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:16 PM
I currently work at a female "Faith and Character" based facility. Hillsborough Correctional Institution in Riverview, Florida. You could call and speak with our Chaplain, Rex Henry, and maybe he could help you. We have people from all over the country come and look at our facility and check out our program. It appears to be working, and it makes the inmates much easier to handle. I really believe they get something out of the program. Call (813) 671-5022. There is entire training program in place for our volunteers, as we have over 350 active volunteers. Good-luck.
Not Ranked
Points 5
barb replied on Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:42 AM
Ken: Please visit our website, www.luckettprisonministry.com we formed a church inside Luther Luckett Correctional Facility in Kentucky about 2-years ago, we are struggling, but still hanging on. Good luck. Barb
Not Ranked
Points 5
Cherie replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:10 AM

Hello,

I recommend talking to the corrections officers-they are the experts and their input has helped immensely with developing training material and with writing policies and procedures for volunteers for our jail ministry program. It also helps partnering with other service providers who work with the jail population...another valuable resource. 

Blessings, Chaplain Cherie

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 20

Hello Ken!  Regarding information on offenders and children, I have found the "Children of Incarcerated Parents Bill of Rights" provided by the San Francisco Children of Incarcerated Parents Partnership to be very useful tool during group discussions with inmates in our victim impact program that was offered throughout our state prisons.  Hope this helps...

Here is the link:  http://www.fcnetwork.org/Bill%20of%20Rights/billofrights.pdf

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS