Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

H1N1 - Swine Flu - Preparedness

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 401
Theron Powell Posted: Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:48 AM

I have been asked by the director of Alaska Juvenile justice to draft a policy on how we will deal the many potential issues surrounding a major pandemic with swine flu.  Some issues are general prevention, reducing risk of introduction, management and isolation of sick juveniles, workforce issues such as reduced workforce and sending staff home etc..  Does anyone have policies developed that they would be willing to share?

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 325
MCJDC-OS replied on Wed, Jul 29 2009 11:39 AM
Contact your local County Board of Health. They can get you started.
Top 500 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 358
cland1979 replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 4:19 AM
We started checking every new inmates temperature at the time of recieving. If there temp was 101 or higher they were isolated until further evaluation could be done by our medical staff. All staff were also required to wear safety mask until after the new inmates temp had been taken.
Not Ranked
Points 5
There is an OP plan posted on the AJA web site.
Not Ranked
Points 5
Theron, in doing some research for this, I cam across your entry and have signed up for this site. Looks like it will be a good tool to gather thoughts and opinions. So far, the CDC site is best for overall info. I too began looking for info from other juvenile facilites. have a good vacation! Darrell
Not Ranked
Points 37
POChief replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 11:01 PM
We are taking APPA suggestions by going "paperless" with monthly reports, limiting our staff exposure to H1N1. www.pocheck.com has good information regarding swine flu and reducing the need for office visits. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS