Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Inmate Manipulation

This post has 73 Replies | 56 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 881
hicorder:
Am interested in the material
contact me at jocotton@nd.gov and I will be happy to accomidate you.
Not Ranked
Points 54
hicorder replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:59 PM
Thank you and have contacted you..
Not Ranked
Points 5
I agree. The supervisor's intimidation of staff is a simple management strategy for gaining compliance. However, some specific actions are clearly prohibited under policies related to the prevention of workplace violence.
Not Ranked
Points 44

Hello,

I work at Strafford County Dept. of Corrections in Dover, NH as a psychiatric nurse and licensed mental health counselor.  I am fairly  new to corrections, almost 2 years and still have a lot to learn although I am not new to mental health issues or the art of manipuation. But I have leaqrned most eveything is different  in correctional setting!.

Is it possible you could send me a copy of the training you developed or any other informatin of this topic that would be helpful? It sound really interesting.  One of the CO's here does a training entitled " "The Anatomy of a Setup"....and I'm sure it would be helpful to him as well.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Linda A. Baillargeon

SCDOC  266 COunty Farm Road

DOver, NH 03820  (603-516-5169)

Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 881
Linda, If you will email me at jocotton@nd.gov I will be happy to send you my powerpoint. I also have one directed specifically towards Staff other than Security Staff. Joey
Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 277
The NYS Department of Correctional Services has a video entitled Manipulation by Inmates Subtitle: Inmate Con Games. I could get you a contact if you're interested. The acting isn't the greatest but the video uses real events/incidents to demonstrate the point. It is used by a number of county jails in NYS.
Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 881
I would be honored to receive a copy. If emailing, send it to jocotton@nd.gov. If snail mailing, send to: Joey Cotton, COS HACTC 110 Industrial Road Rugby, ND 58368
Not Ranked
Points 10

Mr. Kinney:

I would appreciate any information on how to obtain a copy of the video for training at PGCDOC. My address is:

Prince George's County Departmant of Corrections

13400 Dille Drive

Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Thank you,

William Hager

Acting Chief, Human Resources Division

Top 500 Contributor
Level 1 MVP
Points 277
Some time back I indicated that the NYS Department of Correctional Services had a training tape on the topic of Inmate Manipulation that a number of our local jails use as well. I contacted DOCS about obtaining a copy along with approval to reproduce it and provide those of you who were interested with a copy. Since then I have found out that the department has actually produced a new DVD on this topic, with updated content and more polished scenarios acted out, etc. At this point DOCS has yet to start using their new version and has not released to their own facilities for screening. That said, I am still working on getting a copy along with permission to reproduce and share it with the Jail Inspectors Community. I will hopefully have copies with me next week. If I get my hands on it early enough Monday, along with permission to reproduce it, I'm going to try to arrange to have one of our staff make 25 or so copies. I apologize for not having gotten back to everyone sooner. Like most of you, with the state budget crisis coming to a head (we're on an April-March cycle) we have been doing little else but budget work and trying to keep our heads above water with our day to day work. Looking forward to next week. Rich Kinney
Top 100 Contributor
Level 3 MVP
Points 684

I would really like a copy of this for the National PREA Resource Group  We are just a group of states and facilities who are sharing resources with each other.  http://community.nicic.gov/forums/p/37783/60189.aspx#60189  This is the web site (it is new and will have many resources added over the next weeks)  Juvenile corrections, jail, detention and adult corrections

This DVD is on a topic we were just discussing as needing to be addressed.

Kila  Jager prea.coordinator@oya.state.or.us

Not Ranked
Points 15

Both of these are excellent books !!  I've been working with adult offenders in the Midland County Jail in Michigan through Community Corrections for the past 7 years...without knowledge about the criminal mind/personality I would have had much more difficulty working with this population. 

Not Ranked
Points 88
recragg replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:56 AM

Ms. Baillargeon,

My name is Richard (Rick) Cragg and I am a Curriculum Developer / Trainer for the Texas Youth Commission. One of my current projects involves developing a curriculum around the types of inappropriate behaviors exhibited by staff and how they can avoid them. In your post you mention a CO does a training entitled "The Anatomy of a Set-up". I think this curriculum may have some valuable information I might be able to use as part of the curriculum I'm working on. Would it be too much trouble for you to contact the CO conducting the  training and asking him/her to send me a copy of the Trainer's Manual (lesson plan), the Participant's Manual, and power point for the course?

Thank you in advance for anything you can do to assist me in getting the copies I've inquired about.

Sincerely,

Richard (Rick) Cragg     M.Ed.
Curriculum Developer / Trainer
Texas Youth Commission
Staff Develop and Training Dept.
6400 East Hwy 290
Suite 200
Austin, TX  78723

Office:  512 - 533 - 2741
Email:  Richard.Cragg@tyc.state.tx.us

Top 150 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 575
T Abner replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 8:27 AM

Have fun with these Rick, I like teaching this type of training because I don't have to be politically correct or nice. Like firearms training the point is to keep the student alive and employed. Inmates will not always play nice, niether should the training be.

MCO T. Abner, Audit Coord., Policy R&D, Emergecy Managment Coord., D.A.I., Red Cross Instructor, Stress Management, Conflict Resolution, Fire Safety Officer, Firearms Instructor, CERT Officer, F.T.O.,etc.

Not Ranked
Points 44

Hi Rick

I just got your email.  I will check with the officer that does the training to see if he can send you a copy of his powerpoint or manual.

I will let you kow of have him contact you directly.

Sincerly

Linda Baillargeon

SCDOC

Dover, NH

Top 150 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 575
T Abner replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 8:45 AM

Is there any update on the DVD status or a contact person with NYS.

MCO T. Abner, Audit Coord., Policy R&D, Emergecy Managment Coord., D.A.I., Red Cross Instructor, Stress Management, Conflict Resolution, Fire Safety Officer, Firearms Instructor, CERT Officer, F.T.O.,etc.

Top 150 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 362

Hello - is it possible to send this information so I may also share with my staff.  Thank you.

Capt. Joe McNamara

Riverside Sheriff's Depart.

(951) 955-4428

jmcnamar@riversidesheriff.org

Not Ranked
Points 5
jsprafke replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 11:02 AM

I would also appreciate a copy.  Jennifer.sprafke@ahs.state.vt.us or Jennifer Sprafke, Vermont Department of Corrections, 3rd floor Dale Building, 103 South Main Street, Waterbury, VT, 05671-1001

Thank you

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 130

Hi Rick and everyone,

This is such an interesting discussion. One strategy I have found successful is to approach such training from the perspective of staff's responsibility to maintain professional boundaries. I have observed that a primary focus on inmate manipulation is confusing to some staff. Staff often leave training sessions that use "games cons play" or the set-up model with the impression that it is impossible to have a professional relationship with inmates without compromising their own safety. I'm concerned that this can leave staff without critical tools for having professional, respectful interactions with people who are in their custody every day. I think back to both my social work and my rape crisis training in ethics and boundaries, where we were given clear information about the differences between a professional and a personal relationship which really helped me navigate some difficult situations. I'm happy to try and find some models or more information if anyone is interested.

All the best,

Linda

Linda McFarlane, MSW, LCSW

Deputy Executive Director

Just Detention International

3325 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 340

Los Angeles, California 90010

(p) 213.384.1400, extension 107

(c) 310.527.1809

(f)  213.384.1411

www.justdetention.org
www.twitter.com/JustDetention
http://www.facebook.com/JDIonFB

Not Ranked
Points 88
recragg replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 8:04 AM

Ms. McFarlane,

Thank you for your response. Your approach is exactly what I've been asked to work on. I am trying to create a section of training (How Professional Behavior Impacts the Work Culture) to our current Ethics & Confidentiality course. I would appreciate receiving any information, training materials, or resources related to this topic that you might have or can direct me to.

Regards,

Richard (Rick) Cragg     M.Ed.
Curriculum Developer / Trainer

Texas Youth Commission
6400 East Hwy 290
Suite 200
Austin, TX  78723

Office:         512 - 533 - 2741
Email:         Richard.Cragg@tyc.state.tx.us

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 145

Hi Linda,

I am very interested in any training materials, resources, or other information you might have regarding this topic for our facility's Ethics and Interpersonal Relations trainings.  My email is chughes@co.wood.oh.us.

Thanks so much,

Charlie Hughes

NorthWest Community Corrections Center

1740 East Gypsy Lane Road

Bowling Green, OH 43403

Page 3 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS