March, 29, 2017 -- A live-streaming internet broadcast on legal issues regarding transgender persons in custody.
Start times: 9am PT / 10am MT / 11am CT / 12pm ET
Register here http://nicic.gov/training/nicwbt98
Do you and your agency have questions about the management of transgender persons in custody? In response to this emerging correctional issue, the National Institute of Corrections is conducting a live internet broadcast designed to:
· Provide information to agency legal counsel and corrections professionals regarding transgender persons in custody and their presumptive legal rights;
· Demystify the issues surrounding policy and procedures decisions affecting this population; and
· Identify emerging challenges and opportunities to provide strategies for ensuring equity while maintaining safety and security.
The three-hour broadcast titled “Transgender Persons In Custody: The Legal Landscape”, will be aired live on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 9am PT / 10am MT / 11am CT / 12pm ET.
Prior to the broadcast on March 29, 2017, NIC recommends viewing and/or reviewing the materials for the two earlier broadcasts in the series, LGBTI Populations: Their Safety, Your Responsibility http://nicic.gov/library/026763 and LGBTI Populations: Intake – Creating a Culture of Safety http://nicic.gov/library/027998 .
During this live event, we will:
· Address agencies questions regarding issues, barriers, challenges and practices that affect transgender persons in custody;
· Illustrate areas of greatest liability for agencies regarding transgender persons in custody;
· Determine areas to address in agency policy and procedure; and
· Explain steps agencies should take to ensure the safety and security of this population while in custody.
Presenters will also share recommendations and resources.
During the broadcast, the following questions will be addressed:
· What is the current state of litigation regarding transgender persons in custody?
· What legal rights do transgender persons in custody have?
· What are the best and promising practices for safe and secure housing of transgender persons?
· How can my agency provide reasonable accommodations for transgender persons in our custody?
Correctional Program Specialist / Project Manager
National Institute of Corrections
Deputy Chief, Special Litigation Section
Civil Rights Division, US DOJ
National Deputy Legal Director
Law Professor, American University
Washington College of Law
Harper Jean Tobin
Director of Policy
National Center for Transgender Equality
Who Should Attend?
This broadcast is open to anyone and the following groups are especially encouraged to join this event:
· Correctional Leaders and Administrators from Jails and Prisons (including Directors and Secretaries, Chief Deputies, Chiefs of Corrections, Chiefs of Staff/Administration, etc.)
· Agency Chief Legal Counsel
· State Correctional Associations
· State and Regional Jail Associations
· Correctional Risk Management Insurers
· National Correctional Associations (ACA, AJA, NSA, etc.)
· Jail and Prison Administrators
· NIC General Counsel Network
· NIC Large Jail Network
· Reentry Coordinators
· Community Organizations who partner with Jails and Prisons
· Transgender Service Providers
· Judges, Legislators and other decision makers
· Jail and Prison agency policy makers
NIC’s live Internet broadcasts offer corrections professionals an interactive video forum on current and pressing topics in corrections. These broadcasts are interactive and allow participants to engage with and learn from experts around the world.
Delivered via Internet streaming, the broadcasts are available for viewing by any individual, agency, or facility nationwide. Participants can view the broadcast individually on a computer screen, smart device/tablet and/or use a projector to enlarge the signal for a sizeable audience. Registration is required, but there is no charge.
All NIC live internet broadcasts are recorded, and are made available after editing at the NIC website and/or via request at the NIC Information Center Virtual Help Desk http://nicic.gov/contact/ask.aspx
How Do I Prepare for the Broadcast?
Follow this link to prepare to view NIC live internet broadcasts http://nicic.gov/viewbroadcast
Please register for the broadcast to receive information on live internet stream tests, pre-broadcast survey information and more readiness information which begin in early March, 2017 http://nicic.gov/training/nicwbt98
For More Information
Program Specific Information
Correctional Program Specialist
Broadcast Logistics Information
Leslie S. LeMaster
Executive Producer, NIC Broadcasts
This blog is funded by a contract from the National Institute of Corrections, U.S. Department of Justice. Points of view or opinions stated in this document are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.