Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community

A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.

You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Cost of Jail PREA Training

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 81
Cecilia Posted: Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:03 AM
How much does PREA training cost in your jail? How many officers? I need all the help I can get. Thanks, Cecilia
Top 50 Contributor
Level 4 MVP
Points 76,040
NICStaff

Many jails are doing a two hour block in their pre-service academy with a combined presentation of PREA and Staff Sexual Misconduct and a one-hour annual in-service.  I think the only way you could calculate this is to take an average wage times the average pre-service class size and add the instructor's time and any material costs.  Anybody have a better suggestion?

Lorie

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 81
Cecilia replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:44 AM
Ms Lorie, Do you know the cost of your training instructor plus materials? I'm finding on-line an cost of PREA for $85 per officer to a $200 per officer cost for in house training. Just curious if there is a difference? I'm also looking for more sources for PREA training for jails. Thanks for your response! Ceci
Top 50 Contributor
Level 4 MVP
Points 76,040
NICStaff

Ceci:  I made the assumption that you were intending to deliver this in-house.  Do you have a training officer/how is your training delivered for other topics?  Lorie

Lorie

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 81
Cecilia replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:47 AM
Lorie, My husband and I have created a website for on-line medical training for corrections officers. Our idea is to sell facilities all their medical training for the cost of PREA (as PREA is part of the package). I'm having a difficult time finding a lot of information on PREA. As a jail doc, my husband was repeatedly asked for training that is not mandated ~ with ever shrinking budgets we are trying to find a good pricing strategy that works for everyone. For fear of getting booted off for self promotion, I won't mention our site. Thanks for your response Lorie.
Top 100 Contributor
Level 3 MVP
Points 684
Kila Jager replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 10:32 AM

Oregon Youth Authority has started a PREA National Work Group to share PREA training material and support each other in becoming compliant with PREA swtandards a the bare minimum cost.  Currently we have 9 states and have shared training material from New employees training to psters, safety manuals, surveys.....   We are now partnering with adult corrections in order to share training material for that population.  Some of our members are producing videos on staff training and youth safety.  Others have the issue of PREA on Indian reservations, detention, and states combining juvenile and adult cvorrections into one agency.  Anyone that wants to join us in our work group is welcome.  In this time of budget cuts, working together to share training, ideas, videos and questions is the way we can make sure we are PREA compliant and our inmates/residents are safe.

prea.coordinator@oya.state.or.us

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS