Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dissertation Research

Submitted by kgranger on

Hi there, 

My name is Kate Granger and I am a graduate student at Iowa State University. I am doing my dissertation research on emerging adult daughters of incarcerated fathers. I am wondering if anyone on this forum can help give me some direction as to where to look for funding opportunities? 

Thank you in advance!

Submitted by employmentattys on Fri, 02/10/2023 - 17:20

Glad I see someone is searching something for uni.Me my self I'm in pursue of woman side when face employment issues.

For your side I highly recommend you to start from these

1. Mincy, R. L., & Shelton, T. W. (2010). Invisible bonds: The impact of incarcerated parents on children and families. The Future of Children, 20(2), 115-137.

2. Ghandnoosh, N. (2013). The intergenerational cycle of incarceration: How mass imprisonment makes poor children of color more vulnerable to future arrest. The Sentencing Project.

3. Foster, H., & Tach, L. (2012). The effects of father incarceration on young children: Evidence from the fragile families and child wellbeing study. Journal of Marriage and Family, 74(2), 384-398.

4. Maynard, B. R., & Greene, S. M. (2011). Children of incarcerated parents: A review of the literature and recommendations for future research. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 20(2), 191-202.

Submitted by tsudhaansh on Sun, 09/24/2023 - 07:59

Hello Kate Granger, it's great to hear about your dissertation research on emerging adult daughters of incarcerated fathers. Securing funding for your research is an important step, and there are several avenues you can explore to find funding opportunities:

1. University Funding: Start by checking with Iowa State University's research office or graduate school. They often have resources and information about internal grants and fellowships that may be available to graduate students.

2. Federal Grants: The U.S. government offers various grants and fellowships through agencies like the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Department of Justice (DOJ) that might align with your research focus. Visit their websites and search for relevant funding opportunities.

3. Foundation Grants: Many private foundations and nonprofit organizations provide grants for research in specific areas. Look for foundations that focus on criminal justice, family dynamics, or social issues related to incarceration. Some well-known foundations include the Ford Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, and Annie E. Casey Foundation.

4. Professional Associations: Consider joining relevant academic or professional associations related to your field of study. These organizations often offer grants, scholarships, or research funding opportunities for their members.

5. Online Databases and Search Engines: Utilize online databases and search engines specifically designed to help researchers find funding opportunities. Websites like Grants.gov, Pivot, and GrantForward allow you to search for grants based on your research interests.

6. Scholarship Websites: Some websites, like Fastweb and Scholarships.com, list scholarships and grants for graduate students. While these are often more geared towards undergraduate students, there may be some applicable opportunities.

7. Collaboration and Networking: Connect with professors, mentors, and peers in your field. They may be aware of funding opportunities or can introduce you to potential collaborators who have access to funding.

8. Grant Writing Workshops: Attend grant writing workshops or seek guidance from your university's research office on how to write effective grant proposals. Strong proposals increase your chances of securing funding.

9. Online Communities: Explore online forums and communities related to your research topic likes TimesofNextHsslive, Theblogsjournal. Sometimes, fellow researchers share information about funding opportunities they come across.

10. Crowdfunding: Consider using crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe or Kickstarter to raise funds for your research project. This can be particularly effective if your research resonates with a wider audience.

Submitted by meserii on Sat, 10/21/2023 - 00:43

1. Federal Grants: The U.S. government offers various grants and fellowships through agencies like the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Science Foundation (NSF), and the Department of Justice (DOJ) that might align with your research focus. Visit their websites and search for relevant funding opportunities.