Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Grants help to create Physical/ Mental Wellness zones for Staff

Submitted by Harris-Goard on

Good morning, I have been working in Virginia Department of Corrections for over 30 years. I am in a program in which I have to come up with a project for Corrections. I am trying to create a Physical/ Mental Wellness Zone for staff. I just need help with who could help the institutions come up with the funding to create a building or even just an extra room for staff to have these options. Can someone tell me can the state institutions get grants for this. I am looking out for staff because the inmates here are offered why more than the staff. 

Submitted by DrRamisBratt on Tue, 12/12/2023 - 17:37

For creating a Physical/Mental Wellness Zone for staff in the Virginia Department of Corrections, you may explore several grant opportunities and resources. Here's some information I found that could be relevant:

Office of Behavioral Health Wellness (OBHW): Part of the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, OBHW focuses on promoting behavioral health wellness through various strategies. They are involved in numerous initiatives, including substance use prevention and mental health promotion, which might align with the objectives of your project. You can learn more about their initiatives and potentially relevant opportunities here.

Community and Faith-Based Organization Micro-grant Opportunity: Announced by Governor Glenn Youngkin, this program allocates a total of $800,000 for micro-grants to support mental health and substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery services. Although these grants are primarily for community and faith-based organizations, the nature of the funding and the focus on behavioral health might offer insights or opportunities for collaborations that could benefit your project. More information on this program is available here.

CommonHealth Employee Wellness Program: This program is designed to make a difference in the health of employees and the workplace by integrating health into the work culture. It offers more than 40 different health promotion services to state agencies, which might provide resources or models that could be adapted for your project. More details can be found here.

While I couldn't find specific grant programs exclusively for state correctional facilities, these resources may provide a starting point for further investigation or potential partnerships. Additionally, exploring state and federal grant databases, as well as reaching out to local health departments or mental health organizations for collaboration or guidance, might yield more specific opportunities.

I recommend contacting these departments directly for more detailed information and potential funding opportunities tailored to your specific project needs.

For a project aimed at creating a Physical/Mental Wellness Zone for staff in the Virginia Department of Corrections, conducting research is crucial. Among the recommended resources, official entities like the Office of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services in Virginia can provide valuable insights to develop strategies aligned with the project's objectives. Additionally, programs like the Community and Faith-Based Organization Micro-grant Opportunity announced by Governor Glenn Youngkin can contribute significantly to the project with grants aimed at supporting the general health of the community.

However, it's noted that the recommended resources do not include specific grant programs directly targeting prison facilities. In this case, conducting further research to identify funding sources more suitable for the project's goals is essential. During this research, reaching out to local health organizations and institutions focused on mental health, alongside federal and state-level grant databases, can be beneficial.

In summary, the recommended resources can serve as a starting point for the project and guide the process of identifying more specific funding opportunities. By effectively utilizing these resources, the project team can take steps closer to achieving the goal of creating a significant wellness zone for staff in the Virginia Department of Corrections.

For a project aimed at creating a Physical/Mental Wellness Zone for staff in the Virginia Department of Corrections, conducting research is crucial. Among the recommended resources, official entities like the Office of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services in Virginia can provide valuable insights to develop strategies aligned with the project's objectives. Additionally, programs like the Community and Faith-Based Organization Micro-grant Opportunity announced by Governor Glenn Youngkin can contribute significantly to the project with grants aimed at supporting the general health of the community.

However, it's noted that the recommended resources do not include specific grant programs directly targeting prison facilities. In this case, conducting further research to identify funding sources more suitable for the project's goals is essential. During this research, reaching out to local health organizations and institutions focused on mental health, alongside federal and state-level grant databases, can be beneficial.

In summary, the recommended resources can serve as a starting point for the project and guide the process of identifying more specific funding opportunities. By effectively utilizing these resources, the project team can take steps closer to achieving the goal of creating a significant wellness zone for staff in the Virginia Department of Corrections.